Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Industry/Code Blogs to Follow

Spent August pushing some big projects out the door, and continuing work in trying to earn my place as a premiere industrial/economic commentator.  And to keep it from being too easy, a few blogs have recently come across my feeds to keep me on my toes.

Unforgiven Storm at The Lazy Pilot

Though he's been contributing work for a while, I only recently found this blog thanks to some cross promotion from Poetic Stanziel.  Frankly, all the code I keep talking about, this guy is delivering on.  His recent release of EVE Reactor, a reaction planner/tracker like I had dreamed of last fall, and running his own "Reasonable Things: Industry edition".  

If you're in to some of the more technical work and 3rd party dev stuff like Fuzzwork, K162space, and DRK, I'd definitely add this blog to the watch list.  Furthermore, it looks like he's working on another CSM run.  Seeing as I am weighing my own run for the next CSM, it might be worth getting in touch with all the #devfleet guys to coordinate some sort of Industrial Ticket... like how the WH candidates organize their block.

Varkoh's Finance - Markets - Trading Blog

It's no secret that I'm a pretty bad trader, and though there are some interesting trade blogs (marketsforISK and A Scientist's Life in EVE are my favorites), Varkoh really steps up the game and brings a real life commodity trader's eye and tools to the game.  He currently has a really great speculators guide to the current Caldari Ice Interdiction.  His trader eye is really a cut above a lot of the MMO-trader amateur's.  

He also publishes trader tools, but I haven't had a good chance to really dig into them.  Also, without understanding the real life trading tools/mindset I need to do some more learning.  But Varkoh does a really excellent job walking through the thought process in explaining his results/expectations.

Valkrr's Industrial Journal

Last, but not least, Valkrr's blog is an interesting one.  He shares his dev work and findings rather raw on his blog.  Also, he's a real life friend, actively trolling me to get away from constantly using gdoc as a crutch and make some real code.  Having spent years in big-data processing, he really has a technician's eye for getting down and dirty with the data.  I hope he starts publishing some of his work more publicly, because it's the kind of no-nonsense code I really connect with.

The reason I enjoy his blog is that he's a great counterbalance when I start becoming too elitist jerk about my industrial advice.  He's living the "start from zero" industry program.  He's also a great counterbalance on analyzing data from second angles.  I hope to incorporate some of his work in my own tools as we share back-and-forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment